Thursday, February 13, 2014

The One Where I Lay Down My Sword. Alternate title: Let It Be

I am a bit of a dragon slayer. Fighting is all fine and dandy, until my hair gets singed and my arm is broken, and the person whose dragon I'm fighting comes over to ask for their sword back. 

I am a slayer of other people's dragons. I love and protect fiercely, which are good qualities; fighting someone else's battles and taking on their burdens are not. I always wind up limping, and my friends never truly revel in their conquest and heal... Their dragon has been killed by someone else. 

Paul McCartney wrote Let It Be in 1970, yet his words resonate today. These are my words of wisdom: Let it be.

Each day I am learning (through trial and error, I assure you) to lay down the burdens and battles that I pick up for those I love. I am learning to place my sword at the foot of the throne and step back into the bleachers.

 I will be there when you're done, hell, I'll be there alongside you, but that battle is all yours. I do you no favors when I climb to the top of your impossible mountains. 

I curl up in the throne of my Father, and he helps me with my singed hair. There are battles and burdens I must conquer, but they are mine to fight, mine to win, mine to let go.

Let it be.


1 comment: