Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Welcome to Graceland.

Christianity is not always something that is easy for me to share, because there is so much stigma attached to being a Christian.

You're talking to someone, and then something about church slips out, and BAM. You're one of the religious. You're one of those people who picket funerals, and use "Jesus" as an excuse to beat people over the head with your opinion.

Sometimes being a Christian feels icky.

Anyone who has grown up in church has heard Matthew 10:22- "You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved." But maybe, just maybe, this was describing the legalism breaking individuals who had lunch with lepers, and not those people who yell and scream and hate people while standing under a Jesus umbrella.

I believe that I have been called to ministry, and I am really excited, but apprehensive at the same time. I'm entering a world that I'm not always comfortable with. I'm stepping foot in a big messy puddle that sometimes reflects rainbows, and other times looks muddy and gross.

However, the impression, legacy and change that I can bring is up to me (duh, right?). I have the chance to speak my mind, and invite people to Graceland, where it's okay to be different and weird and funny, because Christianity is not about looking pretty and acting perfect, it's about grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment